[Ffmpeg-devel] [OT] literary hideosities

Måns Rullgård mru
Fri Apr 21 09:51:49 CEST 2006

Colin Ward <lists at codehq.org> writes:

>>> 	"Hackers", like "Sneakers" a few years before it, were actually fairly
>>> accurate as long as the characters sat around and talked about technical
>>> stuff (because the film people hired the right tech advisors for these
>>> films). However, as soon as they needed to actually show anything
>>> technical on screen, that's when Hollywood kicked in and believability
>>> went way down.
>> I agree - but I don't think this is very abundant in War
>> Games. Maybe I just need to watch it again, I might have forgotten
>> :-)
>
>    It's funny that this thread should pop up on this list because
>    literally five minutes before reading it I had *exactly* the same
>    conversation with my workmate!  Slightly different outcome though.
>    I always thought that War Games was quite believable.  And the
>    other movie that I found believable was Antitrust.  I am surprised
>    that it hasn't been mentioned in this thread - it's great if you
>    are a Microsoft hater!

Yes, Antitrust was pretty decent.  Most of the computer screens
visible are showing a normal Gnome desktop.

BTW, I once saw a film or TV show episode featuring a computer virus
or other evil piece of code.  In one shot, a computer screen was
clearly showing part of an automake file.  Maybe they were making a
point...

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com