[Ffmpeg-devel] When is planned to add ogg Theora output in ffmpeg?

Rich Felker dalias
Fri Apr 7 20:56:00 CEST 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 03:54:56PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > Remember that vp6 (which is better than mpeg4)

It's not. This is yet another one of On2's lies. If you don't already
know On2 is a very VERY bad company. This will become public very
soon. But unrelated to that, I saw the original propaganda for vp6 and
they jused used postprocessing and incorrect measurements to lie that
vp6 was higher quality than other codecs.

> MPEG4 is generally considered a failed experiment.

By whom?

> > is just an improved version of vp3 just like theora
> > so there is hope. (plus mpeg4 is just an improved mpeg2 :) )
>
> The problem is that pretty much anything you can imagine doing by way of
> video encoding is patented.

Including everything Theora does. If you believe Xiph's lies that it's
not, you're naive. Most sane people just recognize that all of these
patents are invalid due to prior art and obviousness (or jurisdiction
issues) and ignore them.

> > secondly ogg is just a simple container, it doesn't have the ambition
> > to replace Matroska or anything like that, it does what it is intended
> > to do pretty well so it doesn't suck to me.
>
> Ogg is above all a *stupid* container.  Whatever its ambitions are, it goes
> about achieving them in the most awkward of ways.

Indeed.

> Don't get me wrong, matroska is just as bad, only in different ways.  It
> aims to do *everything* with no regard to whether those things make sense
> or not.  More often than not, they don't.

At least it works.. aside from the idiotic lacing which makes A/V sync
difficult.

Rich