[Ffmpeg-devel] Porting h.264 to OpenRISC

Romain Dolbeau romain
Fri Sep 30 14:14:59 CEST 2005

Ronald Hui wrote:

> OpenRISC has the potential of becoming the Linux of the hardware design.
 > I would like to port the h.264 decoder of ffmpeg to the OpenRISC core,
 > without running any OS. Can anyone give me some idea which files need
 > to be compiled for h264 decoder?

OK, I'll bite. You're kidding, right ?

The only OpenRISC I know of is the OpenRISC 1200 from opencores.org,
and the available design is about 1M transistors (about the size of a 80486
IIRC), and the only actual mention of a part I've seen mentioned anywhere
had a target frequency of about 300 MHz. Dunno if it was ever built. My
memory may bit a bit fuzzy so YMMV.

Believe me, that kind of CPU power won't do h264 decoding in real-time...

... of course if you know of a supplier of parts based on that design (no
matter the actual performances), please let us know.

--
Romain Dolbeau
<romain at dolbeau.org>