[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [OT] libtool

Dave Dodge dododge
Fri Sep 23 10:39:03 CEST 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 07:58:24AM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Dave Dodge <dododge at dododge.net> writes:
> > I assume this functionality can only be triggered at configure time,
> > because there doesn't seem to be any command-line option to libtool to
> > make it drop the static or dynamic build at runtime.
>
> Look at --enable-static, --enable-shared, --with-pic, and their
> negated versions.

Ah, I found it.  Those are configure options that libtool doesn't seem
to understand, but there are some similar "tag" settings that can
change libtool's behavior on the fly.  For example

  $ libtool --tag=disable-static --mode=compile gcc -O -c foo.c
  gcc -O -c foo.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/foo.o

  $ libtool --tag=disable-shared --mode=compile gcc -O -c foo.c
  gcc -O -c foo.c -o foo.o

The --tag option is documented by --help, but not by the info files.
The tag names were only found by looking at the code.  The fact that
this works may just be an unsupported side effect.

I assume what's going on is that libtool isn't really intended to be
used this way; you're expected to use autotools as the front end
rather than invoking libtool yourself.

                                                  -Dave Dodge