[Ffmpeg-devel] build systems

Attila Kinali attila
Tue Sep 20 14:23:29 CEST 2005

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:14:03 +0200
Sam Hocevar <sam at zoy.org> wrote:

> > The VLC build system is based on kbuild i think.
>
>    To be more precise, there was an attempt at using kbuild in parallel
> of our autotools build system. It now seems to be rotting in the attic
> because no one maintains it. So far I haven't seen anything that could
> replace up to date autotools for our extensive use of their various
> features. Not that I wouldn't be glad to get rid of most of the bloat,
> but at least it works.

Just a little side question.
Everyone either complains that autotools are bloat and complicated
or that there is no alternative. And most project i know sofar
are either using autotools (vast majority) and fight with its
problems, use a self build system (MPlayer, kbuild etc) or
none at all (edit the Makefile by hand).

Is there really nothing around that would replace autotools
if they are so "bad" ? Then why hasn't anyone written
a replacement yet?
And last but not least, what are the major features taht
someone would need from such a configure system ?
Resp. why is auto* so bad?

			Attila Kinali