[Ffmpeg-devel] core dump when displaying ffmpeg help

Måns Rullgård mru
Tue Sep 20 14:04:01 CEST 2005

Michael Niedermayer said:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 12:34:17PM +0200, Xavier Rodriguez (INEXBEE) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When displaying the help options of ffmpeg I have a core dump on my
>> Solaris 8 HW 12/02 s28s_hw1wos_06a SPARC / gcc (GCC) 3.3.2.:
>>
>> ./ffmpeg
>> AVCodecContext AVOptions:
>> -bit_rate          E.VA.Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
>>
>> I resolved it by using this _VERY_UGLY_ patch:
>
> hmm, arent you skiping over a few things here ...
> first comes a usefull bugreport with gdb output ffmpeg version and so on
> then you can suggest some patch to solve it, dont just post a ugly patch
> and let us guess what bug might have caused a crash which that fixed

Looking at the patch, and what output he posted, my guess is that a NULL
value is being used with a printf %s specifier.  The standards don't
specify any particular action in this case, and the Solaris version opts
to segfault, while glibc prints "(null)".

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com