[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: FFMPEG code a mess

Måns Rullgård mru
Mon Sep 19 00:55:34 CEST 2005

"Mike Melanson" <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:

>> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>
> Personally, I advocate that proprietary companies write all of their
> most secret protocols and algorithms in Java. Java is ridiculously easy
> to reverse engineer, even if the code is obfuscated:

It sure is.  I once came across an attempt at copy protection scheme
with license keys done in Java.  I reverse engineered it by accident
while looking for something else.

> http://multimedia.cx/eggs/index.php?cat=9
>
>> > - Everything has to be an object.
>>
>> int/char/boolean and stuff like that does not have to be an object.

But you can't have pointers to the non-object versions.

> But you can use the objectified versions of these with Integer, Boolean,
> etc.

Ugh.

>> > - No unsigned types.
>>
>> why do you need them? what would  you like to do with them?
>
> How about if you are writing a CPU simulator where you want to simulate
> 16-bit registers? I know from whence I speak. Having that sign bit is
> most inconvenient as you can not cleanly stuff an unsigned 16-bit value
> into the 16-bit (15 bits + sign) data type and must promote it to the
> next size up.

This becomes especially annoying when you need 32 bits unsigned
space.  Going up to 64 bits slows things down on 32-bit hardware.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com