[Ffmpeg-devel] AVOptions

Fred Rothganger rothgang
Fri Sep 16 16:30:32 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

>>the idea was that they would be in the same list
>>

>What if a particular container has a key name that overlaps with a
>lavf muxer setting name? IMO something needs to be done to protect the
>namespace, even if they are in the same list. But I question the whole
>same list thing, since some containers allow arbitrary key names, and
>the AVOption list seems to be a fixed list of options..?

    I like the idea of separate namespaces, and it seems like the
easiest way to do this is separate lists.  Maybe there could be a
function in AV*Format that delivers a pointer to the current string of
available metadata (and perhaps a second one the delivers a pointer to
the string of options that the format supports).  One good reason for
separate name spaces is that it would simplify the task of matching up
supported metadata keys between two different containers.  You probably
wouldn't want parameters to get involved in this unless you are trying
to copy over the quality settings or something like that.

    The key thing to consider here is whether or not to mix the job of
handling command line options with the job of accessing metadata.  It
seems to me that they are best separated, although there is some
elegance in having a single set of keys to access everything.

-- Fred