[Ffmpeg-devel] HDTV-H.264 by BBC not playing

Måns Rullgård mru
Thu Sep 15 18:19:05 CEST 2005

Lo?c Le Loarer said:
> Le Thursday 15 September 2005 ? 16:42:32 +0200, Dietmar Hofer a ?crit:
>>
>> > As far as I know ffmpeg don't support interlaced AVC/H.264.
>>
>> That may be an explanation.
>> Btw, is the strange resolution of 960x1088 because of interlacing or is that
>> another issue?
>
> It is called "half HD" because 960 is 1920/2. It is a way to have "HD"
> content in the number of lines with 50% less pixels, so less
> decoding/encoding CPU power. And it is easy to scale to the full
> 1920x1088 resolution, and with an analog TV output, there is no
> differences (There is no column on analog TV signal, only lines).

A CRT TV doesn't have pixels as such horizontally, but the horizontal
resolution still matters.  In this case, there is only half as much
information in the picture as in a full-width video.  960 pixels is
still more than SD resolution, so it may look OK.  Half SD resolution
is definitely worse than full SD.  Look at CNN Europe for an example.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com