[Ffmpeg-devel] [REQUEST] MMX/MMX2 and SSE optimizations for H.264 decoding

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Thu Sep 15 13:51:24 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 01:02:22PM +0200, Martin Boehme wrote:
> information (believe me, the guys who would be candidates for this
> _know_ where to get the Intel Reference Manual...).

I guess that rules me out, I only got the AMD manuals :-P

> at libavcodec/i386/h264dsp_mmx.c). Now, I don't know if that covers all
> of the areas that could benefit from MMX (Michael?), but the point is:
> H.264 _is_ a performance-hungry codec, even for decoding, and it may
> just be too much for an Xbox...

I know you can't trust it too much, but last time I checked oprofile
indicated a lot of time is spent in some more general "parsing" and
comparisons that can't be easily converted to e.g. MMX...
So yes, if somebody knows a code part that could still really benefit from
e.g. MMX please say so, because I didn't see any.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger