[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] mphq2 - admins wanted

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Sep 6 02:44:14 CEST 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 02:48:46PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 07:25:31PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > and how would file renaming, removing lockfiles and such be handled?
>
> The lockfiles issue needs to be dealt with in a sane way. Can we fix
> cvs to get around this brain damage? IMO no lock files should be used
> for reading. In some cases this should be trivial to support; in
> others, the entire file should be copied before read operations, and
> if the source file changed during the copy operation, it should be
> copied again, etc. etc. etc. until it stops changing. :) For CVS write
> locks we could have a monitor program that removes the lock file is
> the process that created it no longer exists.

Have you just volunteered to patch CVS?

> > and cvs -o doesnt generate cvslog messages (sadly ...)
>
> Let's just forbid it.. :)

While you are patching CVS you can remove 'cvs admin' :)

> > and last CVSROOT must be executeable and writeable for normal cvs
>
> WTF? CVS sounds more and more broken by the minute..

If I am not mistaken write access is only necessary if you have logging
enabled since then CVSROOT/history has to be written to.

> > anyway i agree with attila that there are 3 criteria, (one being not being
> > overly inconvenient and the other being manageable by the admin team)
> > i do have some doubt that your proposal fullflills these but if it does
> > iam certainly happy about the added security
>
> Well let's see if we can make it satisfy them..

Yes, hashing out specs is nice, but we need to have a machine up and running
very soon.  Let's not forget that this time around we will have the ultimate
security measure: backups.

Diego