[Ffmpeg-devel] Win32 unresolved external symbol

Martin Boehme boehme
Thu Sep 1 10:44:39 CEST 2005

Michel Bardiaux wrote:
[on the subject of linking static FFmpeg libs compiled with MinGW into
an MSVC app]
> You have to add libgcc.a to the build (mine is in
> C:\MinGW\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\3.2)

Is this really safe? I seem to remember there was a discussion about
this a while back, and the conclusion was that while linking to libgcc.a
works, it is a Bad Thing in some way or another, and that the libgcc.a
runtime doesn't play well in an MSVC environment... IIRC, the gist was
that there was no good way to link a MinGW compiled static lib into an
MSVC app and the only "clean" solution is link against DLLs.

All of this is "IIRC" -- can someone jump in to clarify? I don't want to
start any rumours here... from all I know, the libgcc.a solution may be
completely safe...

Martin

--
Martin B?hme