[Ffmpeg-devel] switch to svn

Dirk Meyer dischi
Sat Oct 29 20:10:14 CEST 2005

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 01:01:59PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to ask whether the developers of FFmpeg and MPlayer
>> would agree to switch from cvs to svn.
>>
>> The reason is that svn would allow to more easily seperate
>> the repo users from system users and thus make administration
>> simpler. It also has IMHO better support for backups and
>> a few other nice to have features.
>>
>> >From a user point of view, the change would mostly just
>> require to use svn instead of cvs with nearly all commands
>> being the same.
>>
>> So, would you agree on the switch from cvs to svn?
>
> yes if the following things are possible with svn (AFAIK they are but ive
> no experience with svn as a developer and know little of how svn works
> internally ...)

I switched the Freevo cvs tree to svn some weeks ago and I don't
regret it. It is easy to convert cvs to svn with cvs2svn to have the
full history, tags and releases.

> * moving files without breaking history, that means we can checkout stuff prior
> to the move and afterwards and each tree will be fine, with cvs that works by
> coping the files on the server and cvs removing the old one

That's a great feature. You can also create small branches of parts by
copying a directory or file including its history.

I have no vote on this, but I'm happy that I moved Freevo to svn.

Dischi

--
A day without sun shine is like, you know, night.