[Ffmpeg-devel] switch to svn

Stepping, Michael Web.de michael.stepping
Mon Oct 24 17:21:00 CEST 2005

Hi,

my five cents on experience with svn:

biggest disadvantage is:
$Log is not supported, only $ID which reflects
the latest change. But in ffmpeg project it does not count neither, nobody (looks
like) uses this comfortable element of version history.

Additionally, the "rename" function is not really a "rename". It is a
"delete" and consecutive "add". The history of the file is interrupted.

Another disadvantage is the lack of "sharing" files or directories.

Configurations are done on client side like keyword expansion, adding attributes
and some others and are not server centric administerable.

---
The statements above are valid for TortoiseSVN 1.1 till 1.2.4 which relys on the
adequate svn version.

Some of my statements are possibly the same for CVS, I do not know.
Usually I use VSS (with those specific disadvantages).

Greetings,
Michael

PS: Sorry, I am used since years to do top-post. Forgive me.