[Ffmpeg-devel] frame accept question

Bram Biesbrouck b
Fri Oct 7 12:47:29 CEST 2005

Op vrijdag 7 oktober 2005 11:09, schreef Martin Boehme:
> Rich Felker wrote:

> >>It simply sounds as if encoding is taking too long... for the resolution
> >>of video that you're encoding, that sounds plausible. That also explains
> >>why the video is playing too fast... 2.5 seconds worth of video is being
> >>played in 2 seconds.
> >>
> >>The easiest solution to this is of course to just reduce the
> >>framerate... to maybe 15 fps.
> >
> > Reducing the resolution is a much better option. Reducing framerate is
> > evil..
>
> I would say that depends on the situation. This guy is trying to do
> screen capture. He's probably more interested in preserving fine detail
> than in whether the frame rate is 15 or 25 fps. Yes, I know about chroma
> subsampling and that MPEG is not a particularly good format for doing
> screen capture in general, but it's what he's trying to do.
>
> I do see where you're going with the argument that, in general, dropping
> frames can be a bad idea. However, in this case, we're talking about a
> movie of a GUI. Most changes in GUIs are things (new windows, menus, new
> characters in an editor window) popping up on an otherwise unchanged
> background. If you drop the frame on which the change occurs, it's
> simply going to happen one frame later...
>
> Martin

Actually, I experienced that MPEG is't the best codec for screen capturing, so
I started to read a little bit more and suddenly, I realised that if a
particular codec would support the VNC-way of updating screens/frames, the
encoding would be very simple and the resulting file probably very small.
Does anyone know of such a codec? (Apart of the VNC protocol itself off
course)

Bram