[Ffmpeg-devel] On2 Codec

Colin Ward lists
Wed Oct 5 03:32:07 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

   [Snip]

>>>I was joking of course; I would not expect anyone to use Java for
>>>serious cross-platform work.
>>
>>Recently, Java has become usable in the situations it was originally
>>intended for, i.e. cell phones, set top boxes, etc.  These
>>environments are much less diversified than PCs, and Java applications
>>can actually be truly portable between, for instance, cell phones of
>>different makes, using different architectures.
>
> I guarantee you, a cell phone running everything in java will have 1/2
> the battery life (or worse) of a phone with equivalent functionality
> all implemented in native code, all other factors being equal. Using
> java for mobile devices is completely idiotic. If you want
> portability, use C and ./configure && make && make install ... :)

   And as someone who works in the mobile industry, I can tell you that
Java on mobile phones is WORSE than Java on the desktop.  It's a nightmare.

[Hitman/Code HQ - 6502/z80/68000/604e/80x86/ARM coder - Amiga rulez!]
[VZ-200/VIC-20/MZ-700/c16/c64*10/c128*8/Plus-4/CPC464/CD32/500*2    ]
[600/1000/1200*2/A4000/SNES/N64/Dreamcast/Athlon 1100/AmigaOne      ]
[Assembly Language: The most fun you can have with your clothes on! ]