[Ffmpeg-devel] Legal questions...

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Oct 4 14:29:05 CEST 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 01:46:41PM +0200, Mat wrote:
> Mat wrote:
>
> >- Anyone can tell me if there are legal problems if I use libavformat
> >/ libavcodec (only with MOV as container and MP4 as codec) in a
> >commercial product in Europe?
>
> I mean... about codec patent, if it wasn't clear.

If you want legal advice, ask a lawyer.

Nobody here has bothered to read through all the patents in the
multimedia area, nor will anybody.  The consensus is pretty much that
multimedia is patent minefield with many many overbroad patents that are
impossible to avoid.  Whether any of them would survive a court battle
is doubtful, but nobody has time and money to spare in order to find out.

> FFmpeg MP4 codec is LGPL too?

yes

Diego