[Ffmpeg-devel] FFserver implementation

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Tue May 31 19:47:15 CEST 2005

Ravi Chandra Nallan wrote:
> Can you please explain me then what is the main objective of streaming,
> and if what ever I have understood is right?

The main objective of streaming is provide a remote file that is
seekable as one locally stored (or even better considering some
container formats..) . A fairly used implementation of the concept is
RTP, that you can see as a network container format that you can seek
with an enough fine granularity and a more (or less) small latency.

> Is streaming more of a network problem rather than compression and
> decompression for adjusting frame rates for supporting variable
> bandwidths.

Most of the problems are network related (avoid fragmentation of
datagrams, make sure you can sync within a relatively small time,
dynamically switch the payload if the network profile change...).

> please enlighten me on the implementation of a typical Streaming
> Server.

http://streaming.polito.it/server

If you want a rtp/rtsp streaming server implementation that's JUST that.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero