[Ffmpeg-devel] mpeg transport streams

Erik Slagter erik
Sat May 28 10:53:16 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 18:04 +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> >> There are two things I keep wondering: 1) why did they make the
> >> standard so difficult to follow, and 2) why are some products so picky
> >> with what they tolerate?
> > Money? ;-)
> Well, money is almost always part of the explanation.

What I meant is that manufacturers tend to make incomplete
implementations in hardware (money, incompetence, ..., ?), so they make
a binary-only "driver" (windows of course) that masks the omissions, and
make the documentation NDA, so you cannot find out (easily) that you've
been fooled. See promise raid controllers and e.g. the Philips saa7134
video grabber (end rant ;-))

> > IIRC you have "proper" ts muxer, can't you port that to ffmpeg?

> I'm just lacking the incentive.  If someone would like to have a go at
> it, the code is available for download with TCVP.  I'm giving no
> guarantee that it's correct, but it works better than the others I've
> tried.

Volunteers? ;-) I am not using TS much, only for reading from the STB,
so I don't have much motivation as well ;-)