[Ffmpeg-devel] [patch] START/STOP_TIMER for ppc32

Romain Dolbeau dolbeau
Sun May 22 09:41:33 CEST 2005

Luca Barbato wrote:

> The first time I read it I thought was osx only ^^;

I haven't tested it under linux, but there's no reason why
it shouldn't work (famous last words :-)

> It seems to collect the data from UPMCs but I couldn't find the way you
> use to set them up.

I don't :-( Under OSX, I set up the registers with the "Monster" tool.
Setting up the PMC is a privileged operation, so you need a kernel-level
tool (Monster uses a kernel extension). I don't know of a tool under
linux, but I remember seeing PMC-related code in the kernel, so I
assume it"s possible...

--
Romain Dolbeau
<romain at dolbeau.org>