[Ffmpeg-devel] int vs. float: Hard Numbers

Diego Biurrun diego
Sat May 21 01:27:07 CEST 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 04:51:33PM -0600, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >For multimedia?  Not really.  Many codecs do not work since you cannot
> >load binary DLLs and a few others have horrible performance like AC3.  I
> >cannot watch DVDs on my 1.5GHz G4 since liba52 takes around 90% CPU...
>
> 	Ouch... though to be fair, none of these complaints fault the PPC
> specifically. The AC-3, well, it sounds like something was implemented
> incorrectly.

Of course these are implementation faults.  QuickTime and native DVD
players have absolutely sufficient performance.  On second thought, so
has vlc.  Something fishy is going on with MPlayer on PPC, I'll have to
investigate :-/

Anyway, my point was that you cannot just look at the CPU alone, you
have to look at the environment it runs.

Diego