[Ffmpeg-devel] VP3/Theora Perfection

Mike Melanson mike
Thu May 19 22:26:15 CEST 2005

Mike Melanson wrote:
>     I think I understand. I will make some tests along these lines...

	Hmm, I ran some new tests and the improvement using my new code is even
more dramatic:

[original, no inline]
1218 dezicycles in unpack_token, 32760 runs, 8 skips
1196 dezicycles in unpack_token, 65515 runs, 21 skips
[original, using -finline-limit=2000]
1341 dezicycles in unpack_token, 32760 runs, 8 skips
1314 dezicycles in unpack_token, 65523 runs, 13 skips
[new]
733 dezicycles in unpack_token, 32745 runs, 23 skips
734 dezicycles in unpack_token, 65486 runs, 50 skips

Not sure why the -finline-limit version performed even worse. Though it
is worth noting that inspection of the ASM did not show the function
inlined.

	My understanding of inlining is when the compiler puts the entire code
for a function in place of a function call. Have I got that right?

	Thanks...
--
	-Mike Melanson