[Ffmpeg-devel] VP3/Theora Perfection

Mike Melanson mike
Thu May 19 15:32:07 CEST 2005

The Wanderer wrote:
> (I'd really like to understand the code and its underlying concepts well
> enough to be able to help on this kind of work myself, or at least make
> sense of what I read without bothering people with questions... but
> nowadays it seems I can't even implement a simple dictionary finder
> without intractable bugs cropping up on me.)

	I had the same self doubts when I first started in multimedia hacking--
I could not even write a simple RLE decoder without 10 major bugs. It
takes practice.

	If you have any questions about the inner workings of VP3, it is all
starting to come back to me. So go ahead and ask. Also, you can check
out my somewhat incomplete description of the decoding algorithm:

   http://multimedia.cx/vp3-format.txt

And the complete, mathematically rigorous description is here:

   http://www.theora.org/doc/Theora_I_spec.pdf

	Hope this helps...
--
	-Mike Melanson