[Ffmpeg-devel] retrieving asf textual info in other languages

Måns Rullgård mru
Tue May 17 10:50:26 CEST 2005

"??" <c_liao at openfind.com.tw> writes:

>> note, the thing must be converted to utf8
>
>> Is it acceptable to use iconv() for the conversion?
>
> isn't libiconv GPL'ed ? so.. the simplest solution is just to treat
> it as a buffer and let user handle it, however I haven't dived into
> other parts of the code so not sure whether will cause any
> problems. or use iconv as default routine for conversion and have a
> callback interface for user to define their own conversion routine
> if they don't wish to use GPL'ed iconv.

iconv is part of glibc, and specified by SUSv3, so there should be no
legal implications from using it, even if some particular
implementation is under the GPL.

My main concern was portability to non-SUS platforms.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com