[Ffmpeg-devel] VP3/Theora Perfection

Mike Melanson mike
Mon May 16 05:38:03 CEST 2005

Hi,
	I have been carefully reading the Theora spec and I think I understand
the loop filter now. Well, "understand" might be a strong word. At
least, I think I recognize the mathematical mechanics of the loop
filter. Unfortunately, my primary development machine is having troubles
so I can not effectively test the logic. I have attached a patch. Can
someone test it out and see if the video problems magically go away or
if the video at least looks a little better? Please test on a VP3 sample
since there is more logic to hook up for Theora.

	Also, I reviewed the motion compensation logic. I can not find anything
obviously wrong. When FFmpeg does its emulated edge MC, is it padding
the border with the same values that occur on the border? I thought I
heard that some edge schemes use mirrored values on the border. But
according to the Theora spec, it just extends the edge values out 8-16
samples.

	Thanks...
--
	-Mike Melanson