[Ffmpeg-devel] [Ss][Nn][Oo][Ww] spelling^wbranding

Erik Slagter erik
Fri May 13 14:46:24 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 13:52 -0600, Mike Melanson wrote:
> > Because primitive terminals only had caps.
>
> 	That's not very creative. I think a better theory is that ALL CAPS was
> a de facto standard foisted on us by Microsoft. Apple came out with a
> computer that could do lowercase but MS asserted that their customers
> did not want or need lowercase. At least, not until MS supported
> lowercase. Naturally, Unix had supported lowercase since the dawn of
> time but was also the subject of much patent wrangling.

Close! Of course apple did not adapt standard "Latin Uppercase"
characters nor "Latin Lowercase". Instead they invented something much
much better, called "Western Capitalised Characters" and "Western
Uncapitalised Characters" which have a remarkable resemblance with
"normal" Latin letters, but yet are not "compatible" with these, you
need to buy the Apple Legacy Compatibility tool to convert from and to
"legacy characters" ;-)