[Ffmpeg-devel] [Ss][Nn][Oo][Ww] spelling^wbranding

François Revol revol
Thu May 12 18:59:19 CEST 2005

> Hi
>
> On Thursday 12 May 2005 14:13, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 07:55:06PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > (not so) silly question:
> > >
> > > What's the official name for Michael's experimental wavelet-based
> > > codec?
> > >
> > > 1) SNOW
> > > 2) Snow
> > > 3) snow
> > >
> > > Names make for some brand-name recognition, so I think settling
> > > on one
> > > official version would be good.  I'm currently writing a book
> > > article on
> > > MPlayer and wish to take advantage of the situation for some
> > > underhand
> > > propaganda (NUT also).
> >
> > Sorry for bothering, but is there an official spelling or not?  Or
> > is it
> > just "I don't care, follow your own preference.", which is also
> > fine.
>
> if i have to choose one, i choose "Snow"

Well, if it's an acronym, the convention is to use uppercase, as in
SNOW is a New Optimized Wavelet codec (that's a recursive acronym) =)
Else I guess it's a name which usually starts with a cap.

Fran?ois.