[Ffmpeg-devel] ffmpeg crashes on windows

Anders Nilsson breakin.outbreak
Mon May 9 23:06:34 CEST 2005

I've happily used ffmpeg in my code for quite some time. Currently I
tried encoding a video and it just didn't worked anymore. I have
updated the CVS since it last worked so something happened there.
Naturally I got the very latest version from the CVS and rebuilt but
it still doesn't work! I thought it was my own fault somehow but it
seems other have been suffering from the same problems on the list.
Here's a list of what does not work:

ffmpeg.exe crashes (access violation, no output)
output_example.exe works but says "could not open codec" for any
format I've tried

The same thing happens to my own code; avcodec_open does not work
anymore! It returns something <0 for ANY format I've tried. FFmpeg.exe
might never have worked on my computer - never tried it before - but
output_example worked alright before and so did my own code.

I compile using MINGW32 with visual studio .2003 for creating the
.DLL-files. Lotsa warnings during compile (as always) but no errors.

Hope I'm not wasting your time!

Anders Nilsson

This is the output from ./configure

$ ./configure --enable-shared --enable-memalign-hack
Install prefix   /c/Program Files/FFmpeg
Source path      /*censor*/win32/extern/ffmpeg-source
C compiler       gcc
make             make
CPU              x86 (generic)
Big Endian       no