[Ffmpeg-devel] reply-to headers and the mailinglist

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon May 9 15:50:08 CEST 2005

Hi

On Thursday 05 May 2005 17:13, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 01:52:51PM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > quite a few messages which appear on the list contain reply-to headers
> > > to the poster+mailinglist, is this wanted?
> > >
> > > currently the mailman settings are:
> > > first_strip_reply_to: No
> > > reply_goes_to_list: list
> > >
> > > i could change first_strip_reply_to to yes but that would remove not
> > > only reply-to headers which contain only the poster (and then get the
> > > list added by mailman) but also reply to headers which originally
> > > conatin the poster+list, at least if i understand things correctly
> > >
> > > the lists on SF dont have a first_strip_reply_to option ...
> > > how are other lists configured?
> >
> > IMHO, the best is not to do any reply-to processing.  See
> > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html for a discussion on the
> > topic.
>
> This is nonsense...without it everyone would reply off-list and spam
> us all. I vote for stripping all reply-to headers and then adding the
> list as the only reply-to.

if there are no sane objections i will change the config to do this
note, a sane objection would for example be that the majority of thouse who
have reply-to:<authors address> want to be CCed a copy on all replies

Michael