[Ffmpeg-devel] reply-to headers and the mailinglist

Loïc Le Loarer lll+ffmpeg
Sat May 7 22:51:31 CEST 2005

Le Saturday 07 May 2005 ? 14:39:55 -0400, Rich Felker a ?crit:
> On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 07:44:54PM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > It seems to work well enough on linux-kernel.
> >
> > Accept the facts, there is no reason for using the reply-to to list,
> > other than you (and others) being used to having it that way.
>
> No. If we were to change it, I PROMISE you we would get newbies
> replying off-list all the time.

This is wrong, I've set up many list composed of a vast majority of
newbies, and I've never saw any problem with off-list replying, they use
reply-all button very easily, and if they had a reply-to-list button,
they would use it equaly easily.

> Look how many stupid html, outlook-quoted, etc. posts there are
> already!!

This are much more complicated concepts for newbies, reply and reply-all
are the two more visible functionnality of a mail reader (after the
compose button), html compose desactivation is often hidden some where
in the configuration and why html is bad is more difficult to
understand, and outlook-quoted style is not a mail reader option, it is
a behavior learned by the experience, it is not the first thing you can
learn or guess while using a mail reader for the first time.

I'm really convinced that the reply-to option for list manager are not
useful, because off-list reply are rare and they are an annoyance mainly
for the sender, which learn very quickly from its error.

Best Regards.
--
Lo?c

"heaven is not a place, it's a feeling"