[Ffmpeg-devel] reply-to headers and the mailinglist

Måns Rullgård mru
Thu May 5 21:36:22 CEST 2005

Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

>> > This is nonsense...without it everyone would reply off-list and spam
>> > us all.
>>
>> It seems to work well on all the lists I subscribe to that don't mess
>> with reply-to.  Any sane mailer has a command that replies in the
>> proper way.
>
> The point is that people won't use it. I (and apparently 99% of the
> developers) do NOT want to get personally-addressed, off-list mail.

After a learning period of about half a day, everybody seems to get it
right.

>> > I vote for stripping all reply-to headers and then adding the list
>> > as the only reply-to.
>>
>> Setting relpy-to to the list addrss only makes it difficult to reply
>> off-list, if that's what you actually want to do.
>
> Exactly. It's difficult on purpose. So people won't do it.

Sometimes an off-list reply is more appropriate.  If it were a little
easier to do it properly, the list would receive less such noise.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com