[Ffmpeg-devel] PATCH: Build Suffix

Charles Yates charles.yates
Fri Jul 29 23:54:19 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 08:03 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> My point was exactly that you do not, and CANNOT, control what they do
> with sudo.

rich shanty = NOEXEC: /usr/bin/less

(... nope - no idea what the relevance of shanty is - just picked up
from man sudoers and mangled in a seemingly relevant way - I am not a
systems admin and have only a passing interest in such things :-)).

> If a program can safely be run by ordinary users with
> elevated permissions, it will use the suid bit and have its own strong
> internal permissions handling. Virtually anything run through sudo is
> full of holes that yield full root access, like the "make install"
> example.

Heh, well the whole thing was rather irrelevant to the patch itself,
since the patch doesn't have anything to do with sudo - all it does is
correct an install issue regarding the use of the build suffix.

My preference to use sudo is simply my preference :-).

Cheers,

Charlie