[Ffmpeg-devel] MPEG4 streaming over RTP

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Wed Jul 27 14:05:40 CEST 2005

Hello Michael,

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 12:45 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
> > If someone is interested, here is the patch: it sets the MPEG
> > Video-Specific headers so that vlc is happy with mpeg1 video streamed by
> > ffmpeg. I also tested qt player, and it can correctly receave the
> > stream.
>
> rejected, this is wrong, a frame can and in case of mpeg2 will always contain
> more then 1 slice
Yes, I know my patch is not fully correct... But I have not the time to
develope a fully correct one (I do not know how to split a frame in
slices, and so on).
I just wrote the "minimal patch" needed to make vlc happy: the current
code never sets the E (End-of-slice) bit, and the live.com library has
problems with this. I just set the E bit at the end of each frame (I
think the end of a frame is also the end of a slice, right?), and
live.com likes it :). But of course my patch is not correct, and there
probably will be problems if some packets are lost.

So, I finally agree that the patch is not ready for inclusion; maybe
someone who is interested in MPEG1/2 streaming and has the time can use
my patch as a start for developing a correct one (a working example is
always useful :).

> i also suggest that the code is changed to use PutBitContext instead of this
> half improvised mess rtp.c currently uses
I'll see if I can do this change in the next weekend if I will find some
time, but I do not promise anything.

				Luca