[Ffmpeg-devel] Questions about DVD export

Chris chris
Wed Jul 6 00:21:37 CEST 2005

> 2)
> As far as I can see, the program uses always AC3 audio for NTSC movies and
> MP2
> audio for PAL movies. Does that make sense? I would always encode audio in
> MP2 (or AC3) not depending it to the video format.

DVD Spec says that one track of the possible 8 must be Dolby Digital (AC3)
or PCM for NTSC DVDs. So considering that PCM is uncompressed "AC3 for NTSC"
is good for compatibility. As for PAL: Mpeg-Layer2 audio OR AC3 is fine for
any of the 8 tracks.

So, yes it does make sense as for full compatibility you need an AC3 track
for NTSC and choosing Mpeg-Layer2 for PAL is probably better as libav AC3
_may_ not be 100% compliant.

Chris