[Ffmpeg-devel] Compiling with h264 support under Cygwin or MINGW/MSYS

Gary Masson massong
Tue Dec 20 15:01:22 CET 2005

 <ffmpeg-devel at mplayerhq.hu>First, I was able to compile ffmpeg under cygwin
thanks to the advice of adding the --disable-vhook option, thank you M??ns
for the tip. So here's what works:

$ ./configure --disable-vhook
$ make
$ make install

However, I need h264 encoding which is not enabled by the default configure
script.
Looking through ./configure --help  I tried to enable h264 support as
follows:

$ ./configure --enable-x264 --enable-gpl  --disable-vhook
 - This part works OK and "x264 enabled yes" appears in the output.
$ make
 - Things go bad at this point as shown below:

make[1]: *** [x264.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Administrator/dev/ffmpeg/libavcodec'
make: *** [lib] Error 2

I decided I would try to compile this directly under Windows instead of
using Cygwin , I downloaded MSYS and MINGW and gave it a try under that
environment.  Here's my results:

Under MSYS/MINGW (The --enable-memalign-hack option was added on the advice
of Configure which creates an error without it).

$ ./configure --enable-x264 --enable-gpl --enable-memalign-hack
 - Looks OK
$ make
 - Things go south as shown below:

make[1]: *** [x264.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Administrator/dev/ffmpeg/libavcodec'
make: *** [lib] Error 2

I then tried adding the --disable-vhook option

$ ./configure --enable-x264 --enable-gpl --disable-vhook
--enable-memalign-hack
 - Seems to work fine, x264 is enabled.
$ make
 - Same error as above
make[1]: *** [x264.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Administrator/dev/ffmpeg/libavcodec'
make: *** [lib] Error 2

Do I have to install another module to add x264 support that I have not yet
installed or am I missing something obvous?

Thanks,
Gary