[Ffmpeg-devel] Shared libraries install script broken in cvs

Jacob Meuser jakemsr
Fri Dec 16 07:36:38 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:50:06AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Jacob Meuser wrote:

> >>That will still fail trying to update the cache file if you are not
> >>root.
> >
> >I would prefer that the ldconfig lines be dropped and symlinks not be
> >created at all.  really, people should know that they need to update
> >the cache when they add libraries, and they should know how to do
> >that on whatever OS they are using.
>
> But, from the opposite perspective, why make them do it by hand? It
> would be possible to extend the same logic to say that people should
> copy the newly-compiled libraries into the 'installed' locations
> themselves, yet it's certainly much more convenient to have that done
> automatically; the same, I think, can be said about the matter at hand.
> It is easily possible to argue that an "install" command (such as 'make
> install') should do everything which is obviously necessary to get the
> installed thing into a workable state.

ok, I suppose I went a little too far with that, especially considering
that if I don't want to run ldconfig, I can just do

$ make LDCONFIG=true install

> Not that the other points, about differing requirements among OS
> variants and the unwieldiness of supporting all of them, are necessarily
> invalid - but this particular notion is just bad reasoning IMO.

maybe it should be noted somewhere that users who install as non-root
into nonstandard library search paths can use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or refer
them to their system's ld.so docs?

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>