[Ffmpeg-devel] ASP/AVC defaults

Rich Felker dalias
Wed Dec 7 22:06:04 CET 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 08:52:48PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 03:27:30PM -0000, Robert Swain wrote:
> [...]
> > >you should also be carefull not to break any regression tests
> > >(update regression.sh to avoid checksum changes)
> >
> > OK, thank you.
> >
> > As you haven't commented on the other suggestions, am I to assume that you
> > think they are OK? :)
>
> iam not sure if changing the defaults is a good idea or not so i wont oppose
> changing them, but maybe others (rich?) will :)

The only one I strongly oppose is B frames. There are serious issues
with storage of B frames in certain containers, especially AVI, and B
frames should never be enabled without the user's explicit choice for
this reason.

Otherwise, I just believe that the defaults should be the most basic,
widely compatible profile possible so that users won't shoot
themselves in the foot. Options that make the encoding smarter can be
on by default if you like, but I think options that force the decoder
to be smarter or have more memory/processing speed/etc. should not be
enabled by default (things like qpel, gmc, ...).

Rich