[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: FFMPEG on Windows

Martin Boehme boehme
Wed Aug 31 11:14:17 CEST 2005

Marcus Engene wrote:
> Martin Boehme wrote:
>> Compiling FFmpeg itself under MSVC would be a huge porting fest, and
>> unless you wanted to take a big performance _hit_, you'd have to
>> convert large chunks of inline assembler from AT&T syntax to Intel
>> syntax...
>>
>> Martin
>>
> Couldn't the asm things be wrapped in macros? How do other multi
> platform projects deal with this?
>
> I agree that MS isn't really run by mother Theresa, but Visual Studio
> beats the hell out of any other ide I've worked with. And yes, I tried
> the marvels of programming with emacs/gcc and I didn't like it. gdb or
> ddd are beaten by the VS debugger hands down, imho. Most incompatible
> (C99?) examples I've seen VS fail with on this list are irrelevant
> cosmetics (apart from lack of inttypes.h), as far as I could tell. imho
> again ;-)

Oh good, let's start a gcc vs. MSVC flamefest. ;-)

I agree with you, the VS debugger _is_ great *ducks*. And it's my
impression that MSVC *ducks even lower* still tends to generate better
code than gcc. (Disclaimer: In my day-to-day work, I use vim and gcc.)
Having said that, FFmpeg _is_ firmly rooted in Linux; regarding the
question of making it portable between compilers, well... at the very
least it would be a huge PITA.

Martin

--
Martin B?hme