[Ffmpeg-devel] Could not find video grab device

Martin van Es mrvanes
Fri Aug 26 19:14:50 CEST 2005

On 8/26/05, Luca Abeni <lucabe72 at email.it> wrote:
> > unfortunately recent ffmpeg CVS exits with 'Could not find video grab
> > device'.
> Did you try something like "-vd /dev/..."? Maybe posting the whole error
> log would help... :)

Well.. yeah I call ffmpeg CVS with -vd /dev/video0 (and the rest to
make it stream to my server) just like 4.8.0 and it simply quits
telling me it can't find the video device... even before outputing
anything worth mentioning here ;)

> I am using it right now, and it works quite well:
> root at host3:/tmp# /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -target dvd /tmp/blah.vob
> ffmpeg version 0.4.9-pre1, build 4757, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice
> configuration:  --enable-faac --disable-network --disable-zlib
> --disable-vhook --disable-ffplay --extra-cflags=-I /tmp/aac/include
> --extra-ldflags=-L /tmp/aac/lib

Hmm... thx for the reassurance, I'll try and compile it with these options!

> Which kind of problems are you seeing in the v4l code?

I don't, it was just an assumption because I can't get my webcam to
work since a long time in CVS history (april may I believe).

I'll keep you posted about the test results!

Martin