[Ffmpeg-devel] low_delay in mpeg2

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Aug 22 12:35:13 CEST 2005

Hi

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:03:30AM +0200, Anuj Dev wrote:

> It seems that the low_delay mode has been commented out in the mpeg2
> encoder (libavcodec/mpegvideo.c" line 1114/5). Any reason for this?

i dunno, maybe some hardware decoders have problems with it
feel free to send a patch which uses CODEC_FLAG_LOW_DELAY to set
low_delay

> In low delay mode I would expect the muxer to send each packet as soon
> as possible since this gives a faster response from the decoder. Change
> libavformat/mpeg.c" line 1222 such that the muxer flushes if the
> low_delay mode is enabled ?

iam not exactly sure what you propose but i doubt it will result in a valid
mpeg-ps stream ...
anyway, IMHO mpeg-ps is unsuitable for low delay as its hard enough to
generate a valid stream if delay is unimportant but if you can gurantee
that the muxed stream is valid then iam not against applying a patch
which reduces the delay ...

Michael