[Ffmpeg-devel] Wrong duration in a nut container

Hendrik Schmal Hendrik.Schmal
Fri Aug 12 14:31:19 CEST 2005

Hi,

Am Freitag, 12. August 2005 01:14 schrieb Michael Niedermayer:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 02:47:03PM +0200, Hendrik Schmal wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to grab a video from tape (via framegrabber (bt8x8), no audio,
> > SuSE Linux 8.2). I use the FFMpeg-20050806.tar.bz2 package.
> >
> > The following commandline (see below) should give me a video containing
> > 250 frames (that means 5secs on 50fps).
> >
> > With the avi format I get a duration of 5 secs. The nut format shows me a
> > wrong duration, but it also contains 250 frames.
> > This happens when for example the tape partially contains no data.
> >
> > The same behaviour I have using the FFmpeg API (libavformat/libavcodec).
> >
> > I can't use avi, because of my videos are larger than 1GB.
> >
> > Is this a bug or did I something wrong ?
>
> nuts duration field is in a info packet and thats neither stored nor read
> currently, patch welcome

Really neither stored nor read currently ? I found out that nut works fine
(with a correct duration) if I grab from a reliable video source (like
tuner).
But, maybe I should use another format. I use ffmpeg for encode and decode the
videos and I have to seek in the video by time or framenumber.
Any hints ?

Hendrik