[Ffmpeg-devel] Using ffmpeg libs in an OSS project is a nightmare

Dave Airlie airlied
Sat Aug 6 02:53:18 CEST 2005

> well, as diego said, include a ffmpeg snapshot in your application,
> alternatively you could also help improving shared lib libav* support, we
> have internal API version compatibility numbers they just arent part of the
> soname yet as noone cares, people just complain

to be honest if you did proper shared lib versioning you'd be up to
libavcodec.so.50.0.0, or something so close...

The way shared libs work, the first version number should be changed
when the API breaks, this happens probably monthly with ffmpeg, this
always makes me think perhaps either the API is too lowlevel, or just
plain wrong..

Dave.