[Ffmpeg-devel] plug-n-play codecs support

Rich Felker dalias
Fri Apr 29 20:34:21 CEST 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:51:47AM -0700, Aaron Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to build a ffmpeg dynamic loading mechanism such that
> codecs can be built as a dll and be loaded at runtime rather than
> statically bundle all codecs in a big library. Has anyone done that
> before?

No. It maye be supported eventually, but it'll take some work. It's
also not recommended since it may be significantly slower and since
the internal api/abi changes often. You're best to use lavc
static-linked whenever possible.

Rich