[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Revised os2.diff

Paul Smedley paul
Mon Apr 25 13:08:09 CEST 2005

Hi Michael,

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Monday 25 April 2005 12:21, Paul Smedley wrote:
>>Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>
>>>Hi On Saturday 23 April 2005 03:32, Paul Smedley wrote:
>>>

>>>IIRC there must be no spaces before #
>>>so
>>>+    #ifdef CONFIG_OS2
>>>will cause problems
>>
>>Hmmm it compiles OK here....
>

> iam not doubting that, just that it will everywhere else

>>>why?
>>
>>from:
>>http://wiki.netlabs.org/index.php/SDL#Morph_your_program_to_a_PM_program_at
>>_runtime
>>
>><Begin quote>
>>Most SDL applications assume that they can write to STDOUT, and the user
>>will see it. In OS/2, you have to compile your application to a PM
>>application in order to be able to have a PM Window, but the STDOUT will
>>go to NULL in this case. The solution is to compile your code to a VIO
>>application, and morph the application to a PM one dynamically, at
>>runtime, before calling SDL_Init().
>>
>>Once you have your text output back, you might use it for showing debug
>>messages. If you do so, it's a good idea to make the STDOUT and STDERR
>>unbuffered, so the debug messages will be shown right at the time when
>>the printf() is called, so every message will be visible even in case of
>>a crash.
>>
>>Here is an example code on how to morph your VIO application to a PM one
>>dynamically, at runtime, and how to set STDOUT and STDERR unbuffered:
>><End Quote>
>

> STDERR should be unbuffered by default, no clue if it is or not on os2, and
> debug messages must not be sent to STDOUT

The point is that SDL libraries on OS/2 use PM - the Presentation
Manager gui.  PM Gui apps don't show the output to stdout or stderr
normally.  The code is basically a hack on OS/2 only to ensure those
messages don't get lost...

Can we at least get the changes to configure checked in?  I'm not so
fussed about ffplay as at the moment - even with the changes - ffplay
sucks on OS/2 due to the state of the SDL port :(

Cheers,

Paul.