[Ffmpeg-devel-old] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] License violation?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Apr 25 00:59:31 CEST 2005

Hi

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 12:32, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:59:10 +0200 (EET)
>
> Matti Hamalainen <mhamalai at ratol.fi> wrote:

> > > It depends on how you compile it, by default: no.
> >
> > The interesting file seems to be the already mentioned
> > "libfilefmt-1.0.0.dll". It seems to contain (among others) libpng,
> > libijpeg, etc. linked into it. I extracted the DLL in question
> > by installing MemoriesOnTV via Wine, it is available for the time
> > being at (2.6MB in size):
> >
> > http://www.ratol.fi/~mhamalai/libfilefmt-1.0.0.dll

> > Running "strings libfilefmt-1.0.0.dll" reveals some messages
> > that are strikingly similar to ones in ffmpeg and libavcodec.. ;)
> >
> > "ffmpeg_audio_close"
> > "ffmpeg_video_create"
> > "warning: first frame is no keyframe"
> > "releasing zombie picture"
> > "warning, too many bframes in a row"
>
> BTW libfilefmt-1.0.0.dll is not the only file containing the ffmpeg
> string. libmcl-3.0.1b3.dll is upxed, but if you un-upx it
> (upx -d libmcl-3.0.1b3.dll) you can then find similar ffmpeg strings
> in it :
> ffmpeg_audio_set_bitrate
> ffmpeg_audio_close
> ffmpeg_audio_write
> ffmpeg_audio_create
> ffmpeg_video_set_aspect_ratio
> ffmpeg_video_set_bitrate
> ffmpeg_video_close
> ffmpeg_video_write
> ffmpeg_video_create
>
> libmcl is distributed by http://www.gromada.com/ and the mcl archive
> also contain libfilefmt. The readme file clearly state that :
> "MCL is based in part on the work of the following people (...)
> Fabrice Bellard and many others:  FFmpeg (http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net)"
> But I can't see any reference to the LGPL in their license file nor
> anywhere else.
> So that seems to be a blatant LGPL violation.

did someone contact them and ask them to comply with the LGPL? (reference to
LGPL, source of the ffmpeg parts they use, object files for relinking, ...)

Michael

"nothing is evil in the beginning. Even Sauron was not so." -- Elrond