[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: libdca (was Re: Patent Infrigement)

Rémi Denis-Courmont courmisch
Mon Apr 11 16:30:17 CEST 2005

Le Lundi 11 Avril 2005 14:55, Attila Kinali a ?crit :
> We can do that, if and only if, the people from ECP agree that
> there are no legal consequences for them.

As I said, all that matters the official ECP staff is whether they are
at risk of being sued. They were at risks because libdca was
distributed to the public from VideoLAN primary server and included in
the binary releases of VLC, said server being provided Internet
bandwidth by the ECP. They're not legally liable if libdca is
distributed somewhere else. libdca was not even authored at the ECP at
first.

Besides, the ECP can't legally argue to libdca being moved to some other
place - contrary to the member of the VIA/official VideoLAN project,
Gildas is in no way bound to the ECP. libdca was first hosted by the
VideoLAN project because Gildas is one of^W^W the main external (I mean
non-ECP) contributor to the VideoLAN project. It turned out it could
not go on that way, and now he said he'd support moving libdca
somewhere else.

As for the member of the VideoLAN project at the ECP (including me), we
don't want to put ourselves at risk either. We did stop distribution of
libdca because we considered it might be legally risky. So we shall not
be linked with any distribution of libdca for the time being. And in
the name of us, I warn anyone tempted to continue
development/usage/distribution on libdca from a country where DTS has
patent the technology involved that (s)he should refrain from doing so.

DISCLAIMER:
In no case shall any of us, nor VIA Centrale Reseaux, nor the Ecole
Centrale Paris be held liable for what anyone else does with libdca.

--
R?mi Denis-Courmont