[Ffmpeg-devel] Embedded processor decoding

Vincent Derrien vincent.listes
Sun Apr 10 14:18:48 CEST 2005

Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :

>Hi
>
>On Friday 08 April 2005 15:54, Mike Melanson wrote:
>

>>Vincent Derrien wrote:
>>

>>>Ok, thanks. Xine use FFmpeg and Libmpeg2 like Videolan and I think it's
>>>easy to implement into VLC.
>>>But do you know other CPU or just graphic processor which is supported
>>>by FFMpeg ?
>>>

>> I think you might be a little unclear on some underlying concepts here.
>>FFmpeg is a software library that, among other things, decodes data
>>encoded in video formats such as MPEG-2 and MPEG-4. If you have a
>>hardware decoder that decodes MPEG-2 and MPEG-4, you no longer need a
>>software decoder that does the same thing.
>>

>well it depends upon the hardware, if it can do all the steps needed for
>decoding then u just feed it with the bitstream, if not then u do need a
>software decoder like ffmpeg/libavodec to handle the parts which he HW cant
>see all the xvmc stuff in libavcodec ...

Yes, it depends upton the hardware. For example, if I take an AMD
Alchemy Au1200 with MPEG2/4 hardware decoding, AMD give me linux
libraries. And I don't know if I must include this libraries directly in
VLC source code or in FFmpeg