[DVDnav-discuss] Possible libdvdnav crash

John Stebbins stebbins at jetheaddev.com
Wed Mar 19 02:19:45 CET 2014

On 03/18/2014 01:51 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On 18 Mar, Erik Hovland wrote :
>> I see what Jean means about libdvdnav asserting all the dang time.
> Look at Ubuntu dvdnav bugtracker. They are hundred of those...
>
> assert(0) is meant for codepaths that are supposed to be IMPOSSIBLE to
> reach, not when parsing a user file fails. You should not trust your
> input.
> And it's CERTAINLY not for recoverable errors...
>
> This is very hard to fix now but must be fixed.
>
> Btw, Erik, you should send me your pubkey :)
>
> With my kindest regards,

Just adding a data point.  HandBrake builds with NDEBUG set (which disables assert) for release builds.  We rarely get
reports of crashing in dvdnav.  So most of the asserts don't cause obvious crashes if they are ignored.

--
John      GnuPG fingerprint: D0EC B3DB C372 D1F1 0B01  83F0 49F1 D7B2 60D4 D0F7