[DVDnav-discuss] New release planned? Yes!

gnosygnu gnosygnu at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 08:22:51 CET 2013

> I'm ok with moving main dev. there if it lets patches like the
> gnosygnu one *finally* make it in

I'd also like to see the patch included. I don't know if the size of
the patch is intimidating, or if there are other issues. However, with
regards to the situation, please keep in mind the following:

- The current jump_to_time code is inaccurate.[1]
- The proposed jump_to_time code only adds new code, and does not
alter existing one. If a program does not want to use the new
functionality, it can choose not to call
"dvdnav_jump_to_sector_by_time" and be otherwise unaffected
- The solution really needs to be complicated. [2]

Let me know if I can provide anything to help it along.

Thanks.

[1]: The current code interpolates the time based on logical block
size. For a 20 minute cell with 50,000 sectors,  the 10 minute mark is
assumed to be 25,000, which will rarely be the case. Note that the
current code is marked with a "FIXME: right now, this function does
not use the time tables but interpolates only the cell times"

[2]: The IFO files do not have a simple way of mapping time to sector.
The only way to get this data is to go through the time maps and the
sector maps, and even this is not straightforward