[DVDnav-discuss] start_sector < last_sector check failed on Star Trek: Into Darkness

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Wed Nov 20 13:38:06 CET 2013

Am 19.11.2013 00:33, schrieb Bryce Harrington:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:25:32AM +0100, Alexander Roalter wrote:
>> On 19.11.2013 00:05, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>>> STAR_TREK__INTO_DARKNESS generates this check failure:
>>>
>>> *** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in ifo_read.c:1676 ***
>>> *** for c_adt->cell_adr_table[i].start_sector < c_adt->cell_adr_table[i].last_sector ***
>>>
>>> (repeats 11 times)
>>>
>>> dvdbackup reports similar errors, and also reports:
>>>
>>> Error reading VTS_15_0.VOB at block 1999
>>> padding 49 blocks
>>> Error reading VTS_15_0.VOB at block 3391
>>> padding 193 blocks
>>>
>>> for VTS 07 to 15 (at which point I killed the process).
>>>
>>> I tested this on libdvdread version 4.2.0-1 from Ubuntu precise,
>>> 4.2.0+20130428 (from Debian), and the current 4.2.1 release candidate.
>>> No difference in behavior.
>>>
>>> The check is this code:
>>>
>>>      CHECK_VALUE(c_adt->cell_adr_table[i].start_sector <
>>>                  c_adt->cell_adr_table[i].last_sector);
>>>
>>> Simply commenting out the check doesn't result in proper behavior with
>>> this disk, so I don't think it's merely an issue with the check itself.
>>>
>>> Examining the actual values being encountered, on the first iteration
>>> (i=0), the start sector is 1343, with a last sector 0.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas of things to look at to figure out why this DVD is not
>>> working with dvdread?
>>>
>>> Bryce
>>
>> I guess it's the copy protection employed by Paramount. Had major
>> problems playing Star Trek XI, too. dvdnav does the trick, it's
>> title 13 on my (german) DVD (that came in the bundle with the BD -
>> for which I lack the processing key or the VUK).
>
> Ah, I don't actually care about having a copy of the movie (I've already
> seen it), I am just using it for testing dvdread functionality.  Also,
> might be other DVDs produced with similar oddnesses to them.

I you just want the cases that don’t work, simply have a look out for
recent DVDs by Paramount, Sony and probably Disney. They all have (or
had) some sort of copy protection that dvdread couldn’t handle, but
dvdnav could (more or less ­­– still having problems playing some 5 year
old paramaount dvds with dvdnav, because it jumps around a lot, and
seeking doesn’t work as expected, either).

--
cheers,
Alex